In order to model “high command” allocating resources to the battlefield over a long battle a system that rewards capturing and holding terrain was cobbled together. This is also intended to encourage players to attack each other, rather than the game drawing into a stalemate.
The map is broken up into terrain grid squares. Each square is worth 1 Influence Point. At the end of each turn the grid squares controlled by each side are tallied. A two track counter that goes up to 20 reflects the Influence Points value accumulated by each side. The value of these is always added to the existing value.
Example: At the end of Turn 1 the Germans hold 9 grid squares, therefore they would have 9 Influence Points. At the end of turn two the Germans have captured 4 additional grid squares for a total of 13. This is added to the previous total of 9 for a new Influence Points total of 22. As they have passed the 20 point threshold, the can collect one Influence Card. Their counter would be at a new position of 2 since it wraps around at 20.
Getting benefits from High Command
Each time a player’s counter moves past 20 they collect an Influence Card. The cards represent men and/or materiel being provided to a player. Or threats screamed over a radio channel. The cards are as follows:
- The player may take the next four actions. Remove and use 4 order dice of the player’s color from the bag.
- Any officer, spotter or command vehicle can call an Air Strike on targets they can see. Played as though the order was given by a Forward Observer as per rules as written.
3. Artillery Barrage x 2 – Queen
- Any officer, spotter or command vehicle can call an Artillery Strike on targets they can see. Played as though the order was given by a Forward Observer as per rules as written.
4. Fix That Track! x 2 – Jack
- Repair any vehicle that has been immobilized. This is done by issuing a “rally” order to the vehicle. If you pass the Rally order the vehicle is repaired to full operating capability. Command Vehicle influence does not affect repairs.
5. Rally The Troops! x 2 – 10
- Infantry issued a Rally order automatically pass the order when this card is played.
- Can be any of the above cards at the players’ discretion.